Monday 17 August 2015

This little piggy went to market......

In the years I have spent trawling fairs and auctions for collectables, I have become increasingly enchanted by the humble piggy bank.
Aside from the memories rekindled of my own childhood attempts at frugality by saving my pennies in these charming receptacles, I have become far more aware of the desirability and diversity of these little fellows.
I have also uncovered some interesting little facts about the piggy bank:
 - The earliest known examples of the piggy bank can be traced back to the mid 1500's.
 - In England, they were originally known as the pygg jar.
 - Earliest example had to be smashed to retrieve the money inside (hence so few remain).
 - Early piggy banks are found across all cultures and all continents (except Australasia and
   Antarctica).

The piggy bank has quite an army of supporters. Not really surprising, as these collectable items are easily acquired for the average price of a five pound note.

I have become quite fond of the blue and white Delft examples from the Netherlands. My favourite British piggies are the Arthur Wood ones, of which three are currently for sale in my eBid UK store.

From top to bottom:
The first piggy is one of my favourites, an example from the early 1970's.
Next, a later example, less hand painting, but still has charm.
Lastly, this little fellow has hurt his trotter, but this is only noticeable when you turn him upside down. Hopefully, he will find a good home for just £1. If not, I may well keep him!





These little piggies are all going to market at: http://rame-retro-store.ebid.net/

As piggies are so affordable, you can put the money you save by avoiding more expensive collectables inside them. Happy saving!

No comments:

Post a Comment